Languages

Mosqpedia

Masjid Sultan Ismail


History


Sultan Ismail Mosque (formerly known as Raja Chendering Mosque) is one of the 491 mosques in the state of Terengganu. It is located in the Chendering District of Kuala Terengganu District. Its location adjacent to the Kuala Terengganu-Marang road has made this mosque a place for people to stop praying. 


According to historical records, before the establishment of the old building of the Raja Chendering Mosque, there is a mosque known as Lebai Zainal Mosque in Kampung Chendering. It is the first mosque to be built in this village and is one of the mosques which is the place for the settlement of the famous people of the past. The location of the Lebai Zainal Mosque building can not be identified today, but according to historical sources, it is located not far from the site of the mosque. The mosque is small in size and can accommodate only 150 pilgrims only at one time.

 

As a result of increasing population from time to time, this mosque has become crowded and is no longer able to accommodate the growing number of pilgrims. In 1950, Tengku Abdullah, or better known as Tengku Seri Wa Diraja, took the initiative by giving one of his homes in Kuala Terengganu to be the new mosque building to accommodate the larger number of pilgrims.


As a result, in 1951 the remodeling of Tengku Seri Wa Royal wood was conducted jointly by the villagers of Kampung Chendering and had moved it to use a lorry to a new site dedicated to the mosque by the late Che Dagang. Starting from the sacrifice of Tengku Seri Wa Royal this is the name of the Raja Chendering Mosque known to this day in recognition of his services to his home for the mosque.


After that, the mosque building has subsequently undergone four modifications in accordance with the current era and current needs and the last area of the mosque before being demolished for the construction of a new building that is now 4,200 sq ft capable of accommodating 500-600 pilgrims at one time.


The proposal for the construction of a new mosque building was completed in 1999, a proposal for the construction of a new mosque building was appointed to the State Fatwa Committee of Terengganu to apply for a view and two parcels of land adjacent to the mosque were also taken back by the government for the purpose of enlarging the mosque. 


Upon approval from the State Fatwa Committee of Terengganu, in early 2008 the Public Works Department offered a tender to build and complete the new Raja Chendering Mosque with a quotation of RM7,480,404.80. The construction work of this mosque has been handed over to Tasland Corporation Sdn.Bhd to be completed. The mosque was formerly known as the King's Mosque by locals. The mosque was built with a new building beginning in 2008 with an allocation of 7.5 million and capable of accommodating 2000 pilgrims at a time. 
 

Urban and Architectural



Description



Details

Location

21080, Terengganu, Malaysia

Year of Build

2008

Drawings

Map

History

Sultan Ismail Mosque (formerly known as Raja Chendering Mosque) is one of the 491 mosques in the state of Terengganu. It is located in the Chendering District of Kuala Terengganu District. Its location adjacent to the Kuala Terengganu-Marang road has made this mosque a place for people to stop praying. 


According to historical records, before the establishment of the old building of the Raja Chendering Mosque, there is a mosque known as Lebai Zainal Mosque in Kampung Chendering. It is the first mosque to be built in this village and is one of the mosques which is the place for the settlement of the famous people of the past. The location of the Lebai Zainal Mosque building can not be identified today, but according to historical sources, it is located not far from the site of the mosque. The mosque is small in size and can accommodate only 150 pilgrims only at one time.

 

As a result of increasing population from time to time, this mosque has become crowded and is no longer able to accommodate the growing number of pilgrims. In 1950, Tengku Abdullah, or better known as Tengku Seri Wa Diraja, took the initiative by giving one of his homes in Kuala Terengganu to be the new mosque building to accommodate the larger number of pilgrims.


As a result, in 1951 the remodeling of Tengku Seri Wa Royal wood was conducted jointly by the villagers of Kampung Chendering and had moved it to use a lorry to a new site dedicated to the mosque by the late Che Dagang. Starting from the sacrifice of Tengku Seri Wa Royal this is the name of the Raja Chendering Mosque known to this day in recognition of his services to his home for the mosque.


After that, the mosque building has subsequently undergone four modifications in accordance with the current era and current needs and the last area of the mosque before being demolished for the construction of a new building that is now 4,200 sq ft capable of accommodating 500-600 pilgrims at one time.


The proposal for the construction of a new mosque building was completed in 1999, a proposal for the construction of a new mosque building was appointed to the State Fatwa Committee of Terengganu to apply for a view and two parcels of land adjacent to the mosque were also taken back by the government for the purpose of enlarging the mosque. 


Upon approval from the State Fatwa Committee of Terengganu, in early 2008 the Public Works Department offered a tender to build and complete the new Raja Chendering Mosque with a quotation of RM7,480,404.80. The construction work of this mosque has been handed over to Tasland Corporation Sdn.Bhd to be completed. The mosque was formerly known as the King's Mosque by locals. The mosque was built with a new building beginning in 2008 with an allocation of 7.5 million and capable of accommodating 2000 pilgrims at a time. 
 

Urban and Architectural


Description